Position: Special Service Area (SSA) #61 Business District Program Manager
Posting Effective Date: September 20, 2021
The South East Chicago Commission (SECC) is the designated Service Provider for the Special Service Area (SSA) #61 – Hyde Park. The SECC Board of Directors is charged with, among other things, (i) providing policies and procedures for the administration of SSA #61, (ii) determining the composition of staffing to manage SSA #61, (iii) providing fiscal oversight of operations and management to the SSA; and (iv) evaluating the performance of staff engaged in coordinating SSA programs.
The SSA Business District Program Manager is engaged by and is an employee of the SECC. The SSA Business District Program Manager reports to and works closely with the SECC Executive Director, who reports directly to the SECC Board of Directors, and the SSA #61 Board of Commissioners. The SSA Business District Program Manager is responsible for the daily coordination, management, and administration of the SSA #61 programs and services, including all activities and reports to support the SSA’s commercial district.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate monthly Commission meetings, monthly Finance and Program Committees and ensure compliance with City regulations. Maintain inventory and records for SSA assets and permits. Communicate SSA activities to stakeholders and the general public.
- Maintain, compile, prepare and submit SSA financial reports, budgets, work plans, RFP’s and vendor contracts for review and approval, first by the SECC Executive Director and secondly by the SSA Commissioners.
- Work with the local businesses and residential organizations to encourage participation in all grant-funded initiatives; build consensus; develop and maintain a positive and productive working relationship with store owners/managers, property owners, and residents contributing to the SSA. Communicate with existing and new businesses through regular visits, phone calls, and email communication to sustain and grow businesses and understand the concerns of business owners.
- Develop creative new campaigns, initiatives, and solution-based strategies to strengthen neighborhood identity, promote shopping locally, and increase visibility within the SSA footprint. Manage and promote seasonal events or promotional advertising campaigns, including the Hyde Park Farmers Market and Shop Local/Small Business Saturday.
- Streetscape Maintenance: Oversee contracts and vendors for litter abatement, landscaping, holiday decorations, flowers, etc., ensuring quality and timely delivery of services within budget.
- As requested, create and distribute RFPs/RFQs to solicit bids for SSA project work; work with selected vendors to finalize the contract and scope of work; provide project management from project inception to completion, and pursue or design program evaluation needed. It is highly recommended and preferred to select vendors from Chicago and surrounding southside communities, when applicable.
- Co-lead the Hyde Park Vitality Committee with SECC Executive Director and any other community meetings relating to the business community and scope of work to ensure community partner communication and collaboration that support safety and quality of life initiatives in commercial areas.
- Meet regularly with the SECC Executive Director to review the status of existing program initiatives, vendor contracts, and brief regarding new or proposed programmatic initiatives.
- Schedule and meet monthly with the SSA 61 Chair of the Commissioners to enhance communication and transparency.
- Coordinate with the SSA #61 Accountant to provide quarterly financial statements, which, among other things, contains a comparison summary of projected and actual revenues and expenditures and annual audited financial statements. Work with Auditor on an annual basis to ensure a complete and successful audit.
- Provide a draft budget to the Executive Director for each fiscal year of the SSA #61. The budget will follow the determination of the levy for that fiscal year and in advance of all City of Chicago deadlines.
- Maintain current database and online directory of property owners and Property Identification Numbers (PINS) within the SSA #61 boundaries.
- All media inquiries and all publicly released materials (annual report, press release, RFP’s) must be reviewed by and approved by the Executive Director before any dissemination, including to the SECC Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least five years of general experience in community and/or economic development program management. Candidates should be familiar with the City of Chicago SSA Program and City of Chicago reporting.
- Successful candidates will possess strong written and oral communication, program management, and organizational skills with experience in or a strong understanding in areas that include but are not limited to: small business development/recruitment, community outreach, public relations, economic development, volunteer management, fundraising, grant writing or non-profit management. Experience in historic preservation, place-making, public art, marketing, and virtual/ live meetings and webinars is a plus.
- The SSA #61 Business District Program Manager must be well-organized, energetic, self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and work well with a diverse group of city/county/state leaders, businesses, volunteers, and community groups. Business relationship development and outreach is a key component for this position.
- Candidates with transferrable skills and experience in program management, community outreach, workforce development, or business relations are encouraged to apply.
- Familiarity with Hyde Park, Kenwood, Oakland, Woodlawn, Washington Park, and Southside communities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to operate in culturally diverse settings.
- Fluency in all Microsoft Office programs, in particular Excel, as well as internet, email and web applications.
- This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Occasional night and weekend meetings/events are required.
- Ability to communicate ideas and see the big picture of how your work within the SSA #61 impacts the broader communities served by the SECC.
- Works collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders towards common goals.
- Can effectively manage multiple projects, priorities, and responsibilities of various stakeholders and meet deadlines.
- Stay abreast of the commercial corridor, business, and industry trends, demographics, and technical advances.
- Ability to communicate effectively, confidently, and professionally for individuals at varying levels of understanding from colleagues to partners or when negotiating contracts.
- Trustworthy and whose ethics align with those of the SECC board, staff, and partners.
Please submit a resume and cover letter by October 14, 2021 via email to
Diane Burnham, Executive Director of the SECC, at email@example.com, with “SSA Business District Program Manager” in the subject line.